Room No. 109, First Floor
Tourism Plays a Key Economy for the District even though Agriculture and Fishing are the Major ones. Shrines, Places of Hindu Faith, Mosques forms the Spritual Tourism for the district. Annual Festivals and functions marks glory of the Year. Heritages like Tarangam padi Fort, Poompuhar speaks of the rich civilization of this land.
One of the major economies of the District, Agriculture contributes a higher share of Rice Production in the State. We have raised so many important agricultural crop in our District. Rice, Groundnut, Pulses, Gingelly, Sugarcane and Cotton.
- Soil and Water Conservation in 'Hills', (Western Ghats, Eastern Ghats) 'Plains', (all River basins) areas Prone for Wind erosion Degraded lands, Drought Prone areas and in catchment of River Valley Projects
- Creation / Stabilisation of irrigation potentials by harnessing Ground Water by construction of Tubewells, Filter Point Tubewells and Revitalisation of wells
- Introduction of improved irrigation methods like Drip and Sprinkler systems
- Construction of Percolation ponds for Ground Water Recharge and prevention of flash floods
- On Farm Development works in River commands, Tank ayacuts well Commands, construction of Threshing Floors and Introduction of Rotational Water Supply Systems and formation of Farmers Irrigation councils in all Command Area Development Programmes and Modernisation / Standardisation Programmes
- Support services like provision of farm power for land levelling, shaping, and smoothening and to carry out mechanised cultivation through custom hiring of Bulldozers and Tractors.
- Training of farm youths, to upgrade their knowledge, skills and develop their attitude in handling Agricultural Machineries, their maintenance and Management
- Disaster Management by carrying out relief works during natural calamities like Flood and Drought
LAND DEVELOPMENT SCHEMES
The Agricultural Engineering Department shall maintain a fleet of Bulldozers and Tractors with matched implements under custom hiring scheme and hire them to farmers for land levelling and carry out mechanised cultivation operations, to continuously demonstrate to farmers the advantage of using Agricultural implements and machinery
MINOR IRRIGATION SCHEMES
The Agricultural Engineering Department shall hire out Power drilling rigs, Hand Boring Sets, Air Compressors, Geo Physical survey equipment and other required machinery / equipment to farmers and public in conformity with the Hiring rules for sinking Tubewells; Filter Point Tubewells; Boring inside wells and deepening of wells for Ground water Development
RAINWATER HARVESTING AND RUNOFF MANAGEMENT UNDER SOIL COSERVATION SCHEME
The objective of this programme is to harness rainwater through Rain Water Harevesting Stuctures. The components of the program are Percolation ponds, Check dams, Ooranies, Village ponds, Sunken ponds, Farm ponds, Rejuvenation of failed/unused/abandoned wells and Injector wells. Injector wells have been proposed on an experimental basis to facilitate ground water recharge at suitable locations.All these works should be implemented only through the existing Village/Watershed Development Association/User Group.
Demonstrations are conducted at village level to create awareness among the farmers about the Improved Agricultural implements available for the farm operation. The implements demonstrated are
- Quickfit cage wheel
- Selfpropelled paddy transplanter
- Power weeder
- Zero till seed drill
- Post hole digger Village level demonstrations has been conducted
MICRO IRRIGAITON SCHEME (DRIP AND SPRINKLER IRRIGATION SYSTEMS
The Centrally sponsored scheme on Micro Irrigation is aimed at increasing the area under efficient methods of Irrigation namely drip and Sprinklers,in Horticultural and Agricultural crops with the oblective of enhancing productivity, quality and profitability of the targeted crops.The implementation of Drip Irrigation System for Horticultural Crops by Agricultural Engineering Department, under the Centrally Sponsored from the year 1991-92, has made an impact by thrust given by the Government of India and the State through their subsidy schemes and awareness created on the features. Agricultural Engineering Department is implementing the sprinkler irrigation system from the year 2000-01.From the year 2005-06 Tamilnadu Horticulture Development Agency (TANHODA ),On behalf of the Govt Of Tamilnadu, is the nodal agency in implementing Centrally sponsored scheme on Micro Irrigation the sprinkler irrigation system from the year 2000-01.
TRAINING ON AGRICULTURAL IMPLEMENTS
Training to farmers to operate the advanced agricultural machineries and implements are being conducted at Revenue Division Level. The following trainings are conducted
- Operation , Maintenance and Mangement of Power Tiller
- Selection, operation maintenance and management of Agrl. machinery for dry land agriculture
- Selection, operation repair and installation of irrigation pumps and water management through sprinkler and drip irrigations